Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is found about 3 percent to 20 percent in Americans. This is also known as spastic colon, irritable colon, mucous colitis and spastic colitis. This is mostly found in women than men. Mostly people consider Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease both are same. But they are different from each other. IBS is a group of intestinal symptoms. Some people may have some minor symptoms of it but others may have severe symptoms. Symptoms also vary according to their stages and severity. The duration of IBS is also different in person to person. They last maximum for three months for at least three days per month. One thing that is not common in every case is the infection of intestine as it damages. IBS do not cause more severe problems as gastrointestinal cancers. Not causing cancer does not mean to cause less problems they can also cause serious problems.
People with constipation and diarrhea can easily get affected with IBS. There symptoms are not always persistent as they can also come back easily. The typical symptoms of IBS may include some of these symptoms.
- Person may feel abdominal pain.
- Cramping is also common in those people.
- Diarrhea and constipation may also experience by IBS patient.
- People also described the bloating and gas issues.
As we know, bloating and gas symptoms do not stay for a long time after bowel movement they can go away easily.
Symptoms of IBS in women:
Women mostly feel these symptoms around and during their menstruation period. Many of the women have described that they feel some of the same symptoms after menopausal. This is also observed that the symptoms increase in women who are pregnant.
Symptoms of IBS in men:
Men also have same symptoms of IBS as women but a lot fewer men have observed with these symptoms and treatments.
People with IBS have explained that the pain of IBS feel like cramping. People with this cramping pain can also experience with following of these things.
- After a bowel movement people may feel relief of pain.
- Second thing is this how often you have a bowel movement and change in it.
- It also experience as changes in the way your stools look.
Doctor will diagnose IBS by asking about the symptoms you are experiencing. Doctor may also ask about your health or some other possible things which you are doing on daily basis. Those steps to diagnose may be as given.
- Doctor will rule out any food allergy by checking the adopted certain diet or cut out the specific diet or food groups from your diet.
- To rule our infection they may also have stool sample examined.
- Blood test will also be taken to check whether you are suffering or not with anemia or celiac disease.
- Colonoscopy may also perform to examine colon.
If your symptoms are caused by colitis, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease) or cancer then a typical colonoscopy will be suspected by doctor.
As IBS symptoms vary from person to person, the dietary change may also vary from person to person. On the other hand change in diet can also ease symptoms.
As many other diseases there is no cure of this disease. Some of the treatments are available to relief the pain and symptoms. Before treating IBS, doctor will have all details about your lifestyle, dietary and many other factors. Doctor may firstly recommend you home remedies to ease symptoms. Irritable bowel syndrome Otherwise doctor can also give you medications treatment. As everything depend on the severity of the IBS.
What are the home remedies for IBS? :
Lifestyles also highly impact on your health. Other than lifestyle changes some of the home remedies can also help you to reduce the symptoms. But without doctor’s permission do not use any home remedies. After doctors suggestion you can use these remedies. There are some of the examples of lifestyle changes which can give you relief.
- Your participation in regular physical exercise can make changing in your life.
- Do not try to over eat. Choose small amount of meal with healthy feed.
- By cutting back on caffeinated beverages also help to stimulate the intestine.
- Stress also disturbs you. Try to minimize stress. In order to release stress you can also use talk therapy to go away stress or depression.
- It will also better for you to not eat deep-fried and spicy food.
- To not get affected by bloating or gas issues take probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria that found in your intestine.
Foods to avoid with IBS:
Managing your diet is better than pain or getting other issues. When you have IBS try to follow the instructions and food plans given by your doctor. They will take some time and effort but you will relief by eating those food. Elimination of certain foods or changing their amounts such as indigestible sugars, fried foods, dairy products and beans will also favorable to remove your some symptoms. To reduce some of IBS symptoms they may also advice to use herbs and spices such as ginger, peppermint and chamomile.
Medications for IBS:
Firstly doctor will see the changing in your symptoms by improve your lifestyle and dietary change. If you will not showing more improvement then doctor will discuss you about your medication treatment.
Treatments also are different for different people. For this purpose you will have need to work with your doctor to show good results.
Do not try to use any other medication or remedies while using the doctor’s recommended medication. If you are taking anything even OCT, please discuss that with your doctor. Doctor will help you to choose best medications that could interact in better way.
Sometimes there are some drugs that may give for all symptoms of IBS. However, many other drugs only focus on the specific symptom. Antibiotics, muscle spasms, ant constipation drugs and some other drugs can be including in these drugs. As constipation is the main symptom of IBS, American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) recommended two drugs which are linaclotide and lubiprostone.